Working With Children Checks and Police Checks

Parents are required to follow the relevant state legislation regarding the employment of babysitters and nannies. Two documents commonly used for screening are the 'Working With Children Check' (WWCC) and a Police Check. Please see the sites below for specific details from the original sources.

In most states a WWCC is required by babysitters working for organisations (like agencies), but not when they are working independently. So it is likely your nanny won't need one for you, however many of our babysitters already have a WWCC or Blue Card due to university course requirements or work experience. The WWCC is different to a police check in that it is a detailed search for child-related offences, including employment proceedings and AVOs (Apprehended Violence Orders). A WWCC can be ordered by the sitter herself in some states (like Victoria) or by a company or organisation in other states.

A Federal or State Police Check can be obtained by a babysitter or nanny herself from the local police station for a small fee. The police check will reveal any convictions such as driving offences and theft. However most checks will not reveal any conviction that was more than ten years ago (due to the Spent Convictions Scheme). Please refer to the sites below for more information on obtaining checks.

In addition to checking these documents we also recommend a thorough interview and reference checking. Refer to our FAB Interview Guide and Screening Tips to provide you with good questions to cover.