Information About Nanny Employment

Babysitter and child

Nannies, babysitters and parents may find the following information useful to assist with employment arrangements.

Find A Babysitter is simply an 'introduction site', posting nanny jobs and introducing parents to carers. We are not involved in any employment arrangements and do not make any recommendations. It is the responsibility of the parent and nanny or babysitter to follow through with the details. However, we are able to provide some points to consider. The information provided below is up­to­date as at 1 July 2016. However, it is provided as general information only. You need to consider your own circumstances and make your own enquiries.

Job Description: Describe duties re childcare, domestics, food preparation etc.

Pay / Remuneration: State the rate per hour / day / week / base salary. Be clear about expenses (ice-cream outings!), allowances (e.g., petrol) or reimbursements. Plan remuneration review after x months. DO NOT assume that you don‛t have to comply with employment-related laws due to the nature of the role you are offering. You must comply with all applicable legal obligations, including the obligation to pay your nanny at least the prevailing minimum wage. Note that your obligation to pay the minimum wage applies in spite of any "in kind" benefits you may also be offering, such as accommodation, meals, use of vehicle, etc. Visit to find out more. For assistance with payroll (calculating super and tax and setting up an online payroll system) we can recommend

Term of Employment: Expectation re: the duration of the employment. Plan probationary period and performance review dates. Agreement re: notice of termination.

Conditions of Employment: Normal hours of work, overtime, leave entitlements (annual leave, public holidays, sick leave). Again, be mindful of your legal obligations with respect to leave entitlements – see for more information.

Superannuation: Generally, employers are required to pay superannuation to an employee‛s nominated fund if the employee is between 18 – 69 years of age. Superannuation is calculated based on 9% of the gross wage. For more detail see the ATO's Superannuation page. For more information call the Superannuation Hotline on 131020.

● Insurances: Explore Public Liability Insurance to cover accidents. Some cover may be under Home & Contents policies. Otherwise nannies may consider taking out cover with an insurer. They can contact for further information. Consider Automobile Insurance if required.

Domestic Workers Compensation: Under Workers Compensation legislation you may be required to insure your nanny for Domestic Workers Compensation Insurance. Legislation varies from state to state and may be available as an extension to your existing home and contents policy (provided your insurer is licensed to sell it). Please contact WorkCover in your state for further information.

Income Tax: Generally, under the pay-as-you-go (PAYG) system, you are required by law to withhold amounts from payments you make to your employee and then send these amounts to the ATO. For this, you need register through the ATO for a Withholding Payer Number and your employee will need a Tax File Number. Go to the ATO ( website for more information. See this fact sheet for more information regarding household employees:

● Child Care Benefit: is a payment to help families who use 'approved' or 'registered' care. You must meet eligibility criteria (e.g., immunisation requirements, residency requirements and use approved/registered care) to gain the Child Care Benefit (CCB). For more information regarding the CCB please see The Department of Human Services Child Care Benefit Website.

Registered Carer: Some families may be able to claim a benefit if they use 'registered care'. Nannies must register through the Family Assistance Office and must meet certain requirements (be 18+, have a Tax File Number, meet any licensing requirements in your state). For more information please refer to The Department of Human Services Carers Website,

● Child Care Rebate:The Child Care Rebate covers 50 % of out-of-pocket child care expenses for 'approved' child care, set at a prescribed maximum amount per child per year. Note that this is quite different to the 'registered‛ care rebate. You must meet eligibility requirements to claim this rebate. 'Approved care' is usually formal care centres/services (e.g., long day care, family day care) and some in-home care by 'approved' providers. To find an approved child care service in your area, you can ring the Child Care Access Hotline on 1800 670 305 (TTY 1800 639 327) between 8am and 6pm AEST Monday to Friday. For more contact information see the Australian Government Child Care Access Hotline Contact Information Page.

EMPLOYMENT AGREEMENT: To formalise these points, you may consider writing an agreement or contract. There are basic 'employment agreement' samples available from most industrial relations bodies. If you would like professional assistance with an employment agreement you should seek advice from an HR professional or employment lawyer. 

PAYROLL PROVIDER: If you'd like assistance with your payroll duties (calculating super and tax liabilities etc), you could consider using a payroll provider. We can recommend, an online payroll service. Parents will need to obtain a 'Withholding Payer Number' in order to employ a nanny (not a company ABN), then ePayroll can assist with running the payroll. For queries contact:

Search Australia’s most trusted site to find a babysitter or nanny near you.